As 2013 comes to a close and we begin a new year of activity at Sustainable Saratoga, we are grateful to all who have supported our work throughout the year, and we are asking for your help to continue and to expand our efforts to create a cleaner, greener, and more sustainable community. This has been a particularly exciting year for us as we have spearheaded a number of important initiatives:
- The efforts of Sustainable Saratoga’s Urban Forestry Project (UFP) resulted in the City’s first-ever Urban Forest Master Plan, including the appointment of a city arborist. UFP has recently drafted the City’s application for a $25,000 state grant for tree planting and has been leading the charge to ban invasive landscaping plants.
- Sustainable Saratoga’s Bring Your Own Bag (BYOBag) campaign has raised awareness about the environmental impacts of single-use plastic bags in our community.
- Our Housing & Urban Planning (HUP) Committee organized well-attended public forums to solicit ideas for the City’s Comprehensive Plan, and published a position paper containing sustainable ideas for a newly revised Plan.
- We developed candidate questionnaires about sustainability and published the results on our website to help inform voters in the November election.
- We were instrumental in the City’s adoption of a proposal for a solar array to be built on the City landfill on Weibel Avenue, pending outside funding.
- We are studying the feasibility of a car-sharing service in the City.
- And much more!
All of our activities are enhancing our community’s future by improving environmental and economic sustainability and by mobilizing our community to act together. But our work has just begun.
In order for us to continue to expand our activities in the community, we need your financial support. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation as part of your year-end giving*. With your support and involvement, our impact in 2014 will be even greater!
Please click here to donate whatever you can today.
On behalf of all of us at Sustainable Saratoga, I wish you and your family a joyous holiday season and a happy and healthy new year.
With respect and appreciation,
Harry Moran, Chair